Here you will find all the IWI events for June as well as local happenings in the Basel area over the Summer. The IWI’s organised events will be taking a break throughout July and August, so the next newsletter will be in September.
What’s been happening in May?
Kicking off May with the first Bake Off of the year.
Winners in the competition are as follows,
• Sweet – Kelly who baked cinnamon rolls
• Savoury – Helen who baked gougères
• Cupcakes – Liza who baked rainbow cupcakes.
The Bake off was a huge success and managed to raise a whopping 1236.64 CHF for the Basel Frauenhaus, an essential service offering help and support to women and their children in crisis.
Other events in May included the return of International Kitchen, where we started off with a healthy salad pot luck.
For anyone interested, participants shared their recipes on the event page on FB. We also had a book swap, a gin tasting event at Barfly (hangovers included), coffee morning in Manor, a beautiful Sunny Wednesday walk in Bruderholz and of course the crafty cafe, where Helen demonstrated some sock animals.
Friday 3rd :Theatre – I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change!
7 pm, Kronenweg 9, 4102 Binningen, Switzerland.
Monday 6th : Member’s Meeting, 7.30 pm
Thursday 9th : Summer party and farewell to Elin
Please join us for our hot Latin summer party with a twist! To mark
our annual summer send off, we have a night of salsa dancing and
live, local music.
19:45-20:15 Salsa session
A chance to drink and mingle
21:00 Live music to enjoy and have a boogie.
Let’s celebrate friendship, fun and laughter!
Please contact us on FB in order to join the party.
Wednesday 15th June : Wednesday Walkers
9 – 11 am, Please contact us on FB to join.
Friday 17th June : Semi Circle Presents “Dracula”
7 pm, Rampe Theatre, Byfangweg 6, Basel.
Tickets 30 CHF, please buy your own in advance.
Tuesday 21st June : Sausage Making part 2 & Swiss Art
We have quite an eclectic night planned for you! A guest speaker
from the UK, Doug Jenkinson, will come to give us a follow-up
sausage making demonstration (great for those who missed out on
the fun last time). He will share tips and techniques and tales of his
European adventures in the search for the perfect sausage!
Doug is also a big fan of a little known Swiss artist called Eugene
Burnard and is trying to get him the recognition he deserves. He will
share his love for the artists work and his travels to Switzerland to
learn more about him. http://www.eugene-burnand.com/
Please bring along your favourite Swiss dish to share and tell us a
little bit about its origins.
Thursday 23rd June : Crafty Cafe with Patchwork
Member Vreni has kindly offered to share her patch-working
skills with us this evening. Vreni will lead us in learning a basic
patchwork technique: English paper piecing.
Or bring your own project to work on, use IWI craft supplies (for 1
CC stamp), or simply come along for a drink and a chat!
Friday 24th June : Brocki Visit
Sunday 26th June : Theatre Trip – Untrained Heroes
5 pm, Theatre Arleccino, Walkeweg 122, Basel.
Thursday 25th August : Crafty Cafe
A relaxed evening of crafts!
Bring your own project to work on, use IWI craft supplies (for 1 CC
stamp), or simply come along for a drink and a chat!
What Else Is On In Basel Over Summer?
Running all through Summer, Sculpture on the move 1946-2016
• Wednesday 1st – Friday 3rd June : Das Zelt (comedy club)
• Wednesday 1st – Wednesday 29th June : Kinderclub
Museum Tinguely. From 8 years, bring a snack.
• Wednesday 1st June – Monday 25th July : Das Namenlos Gespenst
Augusta Raurica, Augst.
Family treasure hunt full of scents and smells (duration 1 hour).
• Thursday 9th – Wednesday 22nd June: Circus Knie
• Monday 13th – Sunday 19th June :Swiss Art Awards
Messe Basel, Halle 4.
• Monday 13th – Sunday 19th June :Art Parcours, Altstadt, Basel.
• Tuesday 14th – Sunday 19th June : Photo Basel, Volkshaus, Basel
Switzerland’s first and only art fair solely dedicated to photography.
• Thursday 16th – Sunday 19th June : Art Basel, Messe, Basel.
• Sundays in June : Kindermarkthalle, 1 pm.
• Friday 1st July : Summerblues in Kleinbasel.
• Saturday 2nd July : Zoo Night, Basel Zolli.
• Saturday 2nd July – Sunday 14th August :
Theater Arlecchino present: KÖÖNIG & SPITZBUEB
Grün 80 Park, daily at 3 pm and 5 pm in the arena.
• Tuesday 12th July : Stimmen Festival, Lörrach, Germany.
• Thursday 14th – Saturday 16th : Summerstag openair music festival.
Park in Grünen, Munchenstein.
• Wednesday 20th – Saturday 30th July : Basel Tattoo, Kasernenplatz.
• Tuesday 26th July – Sunday 14th August : Im Fluss Music am Rhein.
• Thursday 28th July – Sunday 21st August : Allianz Cinema, Münsterp.
• Sun 31st July – 1st August (2 am). Swiss National Day on the Rhein.
• Friday 5th – Sunday 7th August. River Nights Openair. Rheinfelden.
• Friday 12th – Saturday 13th August. Open Air Basel.
• Tuesday 16th August : The Basel Rhein Swim.
As you can see, there are many activities in the Basel area this summer to enjoy. We’d love to have you join us for events that will be posted on our Facebook IWI group and look forward to meeting you soon. Have a great summer!