We all know that the weather can be mischievous in September, with summer coming to an end, we have gone from a very warm 33C to a cooler 16C in the last few days. The children are all back at school and the IWI Basel members are looking forward to many local activities; afternoon tea at Ettenbuhl, a theatre visit, wine tasting trip in the Alsace and our favorite curry night and not forgetting our crafty creations event, where a lovely member is going to try and teach some of us how to knit. There will also be a surprise social city walk organized by one of our charities ‘Surprise Stassenchor‘ (details will be posted soon). So why not join us and become a member of the IWI Basel.
Category: Crafty Creations
February was an action packed month
We certainly hit the ground running in February with a great variety of activities and events.
Our first Member’s Meeting took place in February and a very constructive meeting it was. The minutes were uploaded to the IWI Basel Facebook page.
Our craft events got off to a great start with a visit to the Patchwork Studio on Güterstrasse where members were able to view an incredible number of different fabrics for sale (and of course we didn’t just look at the fabrics!) to get ideas for what they would be making at our first craft event – An Introduction to English Pierced Paper Patchwork. Just look at the fabric on offer!
Having decided on the fabric and what was to be made we all enjoyed a relaxing evening cutting out our ‘hexies’ and sewing the templates at our first craft event of 2017.
And now for something completely different!! A visit to Solo Uno in Rheinfelden where we had the most relaxing and de-stressing time. Very highly recommended! The salt water pool was incredible! The heated outdoor pool was fabulous and the relaxing morning was followed by a totally relaxing lunch. Can’t wait for the next visit.
Walk & Talk
Next saw the first of our monthly walks, kindly hosted by Clare Wadsworth. A beautiful walk in the woods and hills around Mariestein was following by a delicious coffee which we drank sitting outside on the terrace! A lot of people were out and about walking and enjoying the fantastic weather. An amazing, though hazy view, of the Roche Tower as well as Landskron to say nothing of the quirky planter seen along the way.
February also saw the first Brocki visit of 2017. This time the focus was on Güterstrasse where we find 4 Brockis including the Bücher Brocky where you can browse through a collection of 10,000+ books! Everyone found some treasure to buy.
All about Cheese
Finally, there was our first International Kitchen of 2017 and this was a Cheese Making Demonstration followed by a Cheese & Wine Apero at Markthalle. The demonstration was given by the owner of MYLK, a new and unique cheese producer in the heart of Basel. Hess produces his own cheese, yoghurt, and quark as well as selling other cheeses from well-known artisan producers. The cheeses on offer range from fresh soft cheeses through semi-hard and hard cheeses. Following the very interesting explanation of the cheese making process, the IWI sampled a variety of the cheeses on offer and were also able to purchase some to take home.
Can we deliver as varied and exciting programme of events in March as we did in February? We will certainly do our best so please check the Events section in Facebook and for those without Facebook here is a summary of our events for the coming month:
- 1st March – Member’s Meeting
- 11th March – The Material Event at Weil am Rhein.
- 13th March – Monthly Walk Bruderholz
- 20th March – Introduction to English Pierced Paper Patchwork – Part 2
- 26th March – Jam & Chutney. A session to make goods to sell at the Bake-Offs and to provide participants with some samples to take home!
Here you will find all the IWI events for June as well as local happenings in the Basel area over the Summer. The IWI’s organised events will be taking a break throughout July and August, so the next newsletter will be in September.
What’s been happening in May?
Kicking off May with the first Bake Off of the year.
Winners in the competition are as follows:
- Sweet – Kelly who baked cinnamon rolls
- Savoury – Helen who baked gougères
- Cupcakes – Liza who baked rainbow cupcakes.
The Bake off was a huge success and managed to raise a whopping 1236.64 CHF for the Basel Frauenhaus, an essential service offering help and support to women and their children in crisis.
Other events in May included the return of International Kitchen, where we started off with a healthy salad pot luck.
For anyone interested, participants shared their recipes on the event page on FB. We also had a book swap, a gin tasting event at Barfly (hangovers included), coffee morning in Manor, a beautiful Sunny Wednesday walk in Bruderholz and of course the crafty cafe, where Helen demonstrated some sock animals.
Friday 3rd :Theatre – I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change!
7 pm, Kronenweg 9, 4102 Binningen, Switzerland.
Monday 6th : Member’s Meeting, 7.30 pm
Thursday 9th : Summer party and farewell to Elin
Please join us for our hot Latin summer party with a twist! To mark
our annual summer send off, we have a night of salsa dancing and
live, local music.
19:45-20:15 Salsa session
A chance to drink and mingle
21:00 Live music to enjoy and have a boogie.
Let’s celebrate friendship, fun and laughter!
Please contact us on FB in order to join the party.
Wednesday 15th June : Wednesday Walkers
9 – 11 am, Please contact us on FB to join.
Friday 17th June : Semi Circle Presents “Dracula”
7 pm, Rampe Theatre, Byfangweg 6, Basel.
Tickets 30 CHF, please buy your own in advance.
Tuesday 21st June : Sausage Making part 2 & Swiss Art
We have quite an eclectic night planned for you! A guest speaker
from the UK, Doug Jenkinson, will come to give us a follow-up
sausage making demonstration (great for those who missed out on
the fun last time). He will share tips and techniques and tales of his
European adventures in the search for the perfect sausage!
Doug is also a big fan of a little known Swiss artist called Eugene
Burnard and is trying to get him the recognition he deserves. He will
share his love for the artists work and his travels to Switzerland to
learn more about him. http://www.eugene-burnand.com/
Please bring along your favourite Swiss dish to share and tell us a
little bit about its origins.
Thursday 23rd June: Crafty Cafe with Patchwork
Member Vreni has kindly offered to share her patch-working
skills with us this evening. Vreni will lead us in learning a basic
patchwork technique: English paper piecing.
Or bring your own project to work on, use IWI craft supplies (for 1
CC stamp), or simply come along for a drink and a chat!
Friday 24th June: Brocki Visit
Sunday 26th June: Theatre Trip – Untrained Heroes
5 pm, Theatre Arleccino, Walkeweg 122, Basel.
Thursday 25th August: Crafty Cafe
A relaxed evening of crafts!
Bring your own project to work on, use IWI craft supplies (for 1 CC
stamp), or simply come along for a drink and a chat!
What Else Is On In Basel Over Summer?
Running all through Summer, Sculpture on the move 1946-2016
• Wednesday 1st – Friday 3rd June: Das Zelt (comedy club)
• Wednesday 1st – Wednesday 29th June: Kinderclub
Museum Tinguely. From 8 years, bring a snack.
• Wednesday 1st June – Monday 25th July: Das Namenlos Gespenst
Augusta Raurica, Augst.
Family treasure hunt full of scents and smells (duration 1 hour).
• Thursday 9th – Wednesday 22nd June: Circus Knie
• Monday 13th – Sunday 19th June: Swiss Art Awards
Messe Basel, Halle 4.
• Monday 13th – Sunday 19th June: Art Parcours, Altstadt, Basel.
• Tuesday 14th – Sunday 19th June: Photo Basel, Volkshaus, Basel
Switzerland’s first and only art fair solely dedicated to photography.
• Thursday 16th – Sunday 19th June: Art Basel, Messe, Basel.
• Sundays in June: Kindermarkthalle, 1 pm.
• Friday 1st July: Summerblues in Kleinbasel.
• Saturday 2nd July: Zoo Night, Basel Zolli.
• Saturday 2nd July – Sunday 14th August :
Theater Arlecchino present: KÖÖNIG & SPITZBUEB
Grün 80 Park, daily at 3 pm and 5 pm in the arena.
• Tuesday 12th July: Stimmen Festival, Lörrach, Germany.
• Thursday 14th – Saturday 16th: Summerstag open-air music festival.
Park in Grünen, Munchenstein.
• Wednesday 20th – Saturday 30th July: Basel Tattoo, Kasernenplatz.
• Tuesday 26th July – Sunday 14th August: Im Fluss Music am Rhein.
• Thursday 28th July – Sunday 21st August: Allianz Cinema, Münsterp.
• Sun 31st July – 1st August (2 am). Swiss National Day on the Rhein.
• Friday 5th – Sunday 7th August. River Nights Openair. Rheinfelden.
• Friday 12th – Saturday 13th August. Open Air Basel.
• Tuesday 16th August: The Basel Rhein Swim.
As you can see, there are many activities in the Basel area this summer to enjoy. We’d love to have you join us for events that will be posted on our Facebook IWI group and look forward to meeting you soon. Have a great summer!
Welcome to 2016 and Happy New Year to you all!
Our member meeting was held on January 12, 2015 and we had a full agenda to cover. We had previously nominated our volunteer committee members for the 2016 roles and responsibilities and elected the following:
• Vice Chair
• Charity Co-coordinators
• Website designer
• Events Team
Our outgoing Chairwoman gave a sincere and warm welcome to our new Chair and thanked all of the members for her experience as our Founder of the IWI Basel Group. We can’t thank our Founder enough for her dedication, commitment and time for her enormous efforts to bring us together last year while we figured it out, made the best of it and came into the new year with over 50 members and several new friends in the process. A gift was presented to her and a toast for 2016 was made for all of us and the new committee volunteers.
The treasurer reviewed the 2015 expenses and balances and gave us grand totals for our charity donations. Well done IWI! As with last year, the IWI Bake Offs will be our main charity events in 2016. Raising cash for local charity organisations, Frauenhaus, Soup n Chill and Surprise Strassenchor were our best achievements. This year however we are also open to other charity endeavours our members may be interested in supporting. The events committee have discussed having collection points at the monthly meetings for different groups.
While sipping cocktails and nibbling grapes, cheese and crackers, we discussed the February agenda. What a busy month it’s going to be!
We have events planned for February as following: a movie and after-movie drinks on the 5th, pre-show drinks before a show on Friday the 12th, Fondue and Fire on Saturday the 13th, a group walk planned for Wednesday the 17th, a coffee morning on Tuesday the 23rd, and a Crafty Cafe night on Thursday the 25th. And we are planning March activities too!
If that isn’t enough to keep you entertained, Basel Activities has the following events planned:February
- February 6th International Comedy Club. 8pm at Kuppel, with Dave Fulton and Funmbi Omotayo.
- February 13th Tanznacht40. Dance party for 40+. 9pm to 3am, Querfeld-Halle, Dornacherst 192.
- February 14th Chienbäse parade in Liestal. Officially starts 7.30pm, but it is advised to arrive early. There is a lot of smoke and flying embers, so it’s a good idea to wear old clothes!
- February 15th Basel Fasnacht (D’drey sheenschte Dääg). Starts 4am ends 4am Thursday 18th.
- Monday 16th -Morganstreich, 4am, Cortège, 1.30pm
- Tuesday 17th -Children’s Fasnacht, afternoon
- Gugge Concert at Marktplatz 7.30pm until 11pm.
- Wednesday 18th – Cortège, 1.30 pm
- February 20th International Comedy Club. 8pm at Kuppel, with Hal Cruttenden.
- Sundays 21st , 28th and 6th March Bummelsonntage.
- Random musicians wandering through the city playing instruments.
You must be logged in to post a comment.